On Long Distance Relationship

I've been always in doubt on Long Distance Relationships. Never believed it works and never believed it would last. Thus, I never had a long LDR.

Then again, people change. I for one, is starting to believe that once you put yourself in a situation and is determined to make it work, it will.

However, here are things that will make an LDR a disaster for me. Why I find it pathetic in the first place, why I think it will never work.

Intimacy

Relationships always have with it the need to be intimate. The feeling of caress and comfort in each other's arms, which is, absent in a LDR.
I am a person of cuddles, hugs and kisses. I love it when I feel human warmth from the person I am in love with. So, if you are apart, how in the world will you able to feel that satisfaction?

Technology then played a very significant role into sufficing the needs of lovers apart. In the virtual world, they connect and communicate. Some even show intimacy via waves or signals. Will that be enough?

Trust

Such a big word. Such a heavy role to take. Trusting your partner. For me, trust comes when you have proven to each other that no matter what happens, nothing can break you apart. Until there's distance. When one is not there to give you the companionship needed, others play the part. Temptation is just around the corner where it is VERY VERY difficult to resist.

So, you may say, you fully trust your man/woman. But, I now, doubt will always creep into our minds. Right?

Communication

I've always believed that the key to a lasting relationship is being open to each other and that consistent communication. In LDRs this would come as the most important aspect. You can't be there for each other, all you can do is at least communicate right?

Thank You then to facebook, skype, ym and other means of cheap communication that faced out snail mailing and having to wait in agony for a response via letters. (I still want to try this though. It is in the penmanship where emotions can really be expressed.) But still, all hail technology.

But, nothing beats the actual presence of the person. When all you need aren't words but the comfort of non-verbal expressions. That simple touch that sends out chills of love and care.

Enough said... Long Distance relationships has its limitations and it requires a whole lot of determination to make it work.

That being put, I never really trust myself into making it work for me. But still, I am in such inevitable situation in which I need to learn how to adapt. I need to compensate the lacking of intimacy, trust and communication in order to keep the person I love.

I'm scared. I've put myself in such a vulnerable place where I can be hurt easily. However, I see it as a challenge for me. I see it as a learning process also. To learn how to deal with pain, and how to trust others.

But, one can always be careful right? So, I just did what I had to. I think I'm never ready to be hurt again. I think I never want to be put into such trouble.

Thus, my only option is, to be in what this society can never define clearly: OPEN RELATIONSHIP.

I like the guy, I want to be with him, but this distance hinders me to be fully committed to that person. :)









0 comments:

Post a Comment